Well, in a sense, you could say that!
BEFORE YOU BUY THAT NEXT HOUSE, INSIST ON A THOROUGH INSPECTION OF THE ENTIRE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM, AND KNOW WHAT THE INSPECTION INCLUDES!
At Ninja Electric, we are frequently asked by concerned homeowners – buyers and sellers alike – to conduct a thorough electrical inspection before a sale is completed.
It’s to everyone’s advantage that the job gets done thoroughly and that you know exactly what the inspection includes…that way, you can be sure to ask all the right questions.
So, from our own manual on in-home inspections, here are the top 10 things we look for, and so should you!
1. Are there ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) for the bathroom, kitchen, garage, basement and outdoors?…all the places where electrical shock is most likely to occur, and hence, those place where you need the most protection;
2. Does the house have smoke detectors?…but not just any smoke detectors! Look for 110v with battery back-up in every bedroom and in other strategic locations.
3. Is there any exposed or frayed wiring?
4. Are all electrical panels correctly labeled and secured to their mounting surfaces?
5. Is the electrical panel interior free of rust and corrosion?
6. Does the home have circuit breakers vs. fuses?
7. Are all circuits properly protected with the right size circuit breakers or fuses?
8. Is there proper spacing between receptacles?
9. Is the ground rod visible, and protected from physical damage?
10. Is the grounding electrode conductor bonded within 5-feet of the water main?
Yes, we suppose you could call these a few of the “gadgets” of our trade, but unlike the fictional Inspector, we take our work very seriously. You see, when it comes to your family’s safety, there’s no margin for error.